Cult Busters

Welcome to your Adventure Log!

A blog for your campaign

Kavaki’s adventure log.

The high priestess Marla has tasked our motley group of misfits with investigating some disturbances near the village of Winterhaven. Apparently, they seem to be having some problems with kobolds who were being lead by a hobgoblin named Irontooth. As we made our way towards Winterhaven, a group of Irontooth’s kobolds ambushed us. We handily defeated them. Once arriving in town, our group split with one group heading to the tavern, and the other going to the local temple. At the tavern, we met the lord of Winterhaven, and offered to remove the kobold menace, for a price of course. The lord gave us a general location where Irontooth might be found.

Making our way back down the King’s Road, we ran into a group of disenfranchised kobolds, who have broken away from Irontooth’s harsh rule. Agreeing to eliminate the hobgoblin for them, the kobolds gave us a reward up front. The kobolds also gave us the exact location of Irontooth’s lair. As we approached the lair, we noticed some kobold sentries, which we failed at eliminating silently, as one was able to alert the others. The ensuing fight was brutal with the hexblade and cleric going down, with myself being knocked out. But we were able to eliminate the enemy. We searched the corpses and discovered a letter to Irontooth from a priest of Orcus, named Kalerel.

Returning to Winterhaven, we learned from a wise sage, that a portal to the Shadowfell, was located beneath a ruined keep near the town. Once we recovered from our wounds, we began the journey to the keep. Once we arrived we noticed that some excavating had been done, and a stairwell had been revealed.

Taking on last glance back towards the mountains, I made my way down the stairs with the others. Into what, I can only imagine.

This session, we had one member of the group, but we gained a newbie. Anyhoo, we made our way into the first level of the ruined keep. Making our way into the first room, and ran into, wait for it, no not kobolds, but goblins. This fight went better than the previous, as we took out most of the goblins. A few escaped into the next room. As we followed them, our paladin rushed too far ahead and got ambushed. Luckily, we were able to either kill, or scare off the rest of the goblins. Once we regained our composure, we began to search this level of the keep. Making our way through, we came upon a hobgoblin torturer, and some goblin lackeys. It was there, during the battle, that we met our newbie, an Invoker. Picking through the corpses, we found a new set of armor for yours truly. We also took a goblin prisoner, named Splog. After asking the goblin to help us negotiate with any other goblins we may find, we headed down to the next level. As to be expected this level was decidedly darker than the previous.

We also found what could be a nasty surprise, a glowing rune traced onto the floor. The rune took up a rather large amount of space, so in order to get by, we had to jump across. Luckily we all made it, except for Splog, who turned tail and ran back up stairs. After getting across the rune, we heard some loud moaning and shuffling. What this was, we will have to wait until the next session to find out.

This is not going to take long. We started our session early yesterday with a zombie fight. It had quite a few minions, but we were able to handle it pretty easy, even though our paladin activated one of the runes on the floor(see previous update). After the battle, we made our way down stairs, where we came upon a couple of hobgoblin sentries. We tried talking to them, but our invoker got impatient and decided to attack without provocation. This fight was a bit harder than the last, especially when a friggin’ spider showed up and decided to snack on our cleric. Even with the spider going after the cleric, we were able to defeat our foes. As we tended our wounds, the rogue informed us that he had no more healing surges(see 4th edition players handbook 1), but our cleric said that she would still be able to heal him.

It was either during this encounter, or the next one, that our invoker made commented about in his real-life group, they don’t use friendly fire, so they can make combat simpler. Well our DM retorted with probably the line of the campaign so far, D&D isn’t Halo.

As we entered the next room, I was expecting just about anything at this point, we found a rather large statue of some warrior, two dragon statues, and four cherubic statues.

Our rogue searched for nasty surprises, but was unable to find anything. The paladin, then approached the statue to do something, I forget exactly, and the statue actually attacked the rogue, paladin, and invoker, who for some reason decided to follow the rogue. Needless to say, we started attacking it, but I made the dumb mistake of closing in to hit it, I didn’t have any ranged weapon, and it attacked again, but I destroyed it. We then turned our attention to the cherubic statues.

Our new companion, a gnoll ranger, started inspecting them, and accidentally triggered a trap. A magic field blocked entry into the area where the gnoll was, and then water began to fill the corridor. Trying to help, we tried to destroy one of the statues, but every time we hit with a weapon, the two dragon statues shot something at the guilty party. Eventually we were able to take down one of the statues, while the gnoll took down another, deactivating the trap and clearing out the water.

At this point, the rogue’s player, decided to call it a night, but the rest of us wanted to soldier on for at least one more encounter. Well, at this point I started getting sleepy, but I wanted to stick it out because, right now, using maptool is the only way I can play D&D. We entered the next room, and ran into more zombies. After a couple rounds of combat, I, inexplicably, fell asleep at my computer, so I don’t know what happened.

Moral of the story, make sure you can finish a session before saying that you can.

Well, here we are again, but this time with two updates.

Before I get to today’s session, since I missed updating yesterday, I’ll start with Friday’s session.

When we began Friday, we found ourselves facing a small group of vampires, a dark creeper, a couple of deranged cultists of Orcus, and an underpriest of Orcus. The only real problems we had were with the underpriest and the cultists, because they hit fucking hard. But overall the fight went rather swimmingly. After looting the corpses, most of us decided to find a safe room to rest up, because we had went through two or three straight fights with out resting for more than five or ten minutes game time. The only one who didn’t want to rest was the invoker, who wanted to go on ahead and face Kalarel himself. That turned out to be a bad move on his part, as Kalarel was able to sway him to join Orcus.

Once the rest of us were rested up, we made our way to Kalarel’s lair, where we found, much to our lack of surprise, our invoker had turned on us. Also, we found out that the portal we were trying to keep closed had been opened. This fight started out kind of rough, but we slowly made progress, especially when a new ally joined the fight, a dragonborn sorceress. At one point an ape like demon emerged from the portal, and decided to play smash’ums with our rogue.

And now for probably the most epic event of the campaign. Our cleric, realizing that the only way to close the portal was a willing sacrifice, jumped through the portal effectively closing it, as well as, destroying the entire keep.

Which brings us to today’s session. Our characters, minus the cleric, awoke in the temple of Pelor, in Winterhaven, where we were told that the keep was destroyed, and that the cleric was nowhere to be found. The priests also told us that the lord of Winterhaven, and the priestess Marla, wanted to see us as soon as we were able. When we arrived, they told us that we had been unconscious for six months. Needless to say that was a big shock. They also told us of events happening in a town to the south. Apparently the town is a port-town, and are suffering from a drought. And the assistant to the high priestess believes that by offering up a sacrifice of an eye and hand will end the drought. Luckily, the priestess hasn’t, yet, acquiesced. So Marla and the Lord of Winterhaven have tasked us to find out what is happening with the town, to stop it.

After departing from the lord’s manor, we made our way to the tavern, where a scene of utter chaos had taken place. Some crazed druid had slaughtered three men like cattle. But, he was put on trial for his crimes, where he said that he hears voices, voices that take control of him and make him do things. At the end of the trial he was exiled from Winterhaven, and placed in our charge, yay…, and if he becomes a danger to others, we are to put him down.

Before leaving for our next destination, there was a funeral service for our fallen cleric. It was a nice service, the paladin, rogue, and ranger said some nice words. Once we were leaving, we ran into a former companion of our ranger, a bard. Making our way south, we came across a corpse which was missing an eye and hand, according to the others, this is in some way a reference to the god Vecna. We also found tracks leading into the forest. After some scouting and stuff, we came upon a campsite that ended up being occupied by some huntsmen, who knew our ranger. They gave us some directions on how to get to the town.

Making our way there, we ran into some rather disturbing animals, and trees. And that was the end of the session.



I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.